The Direct Marketing Association’s (DMA) mission is to advance and protect responsible data-driven marketing. The three programmatic pillars that support this mission are: Be the Voice for influencing public policy and opinion, Provide Connections for growing our members’ business and Offer Tools for improving our members’ marketing intelligence, including education, research, compliance and consulting tools.
The PR Communications Specialist will help the DMA to achieve its business objectives by ensuring that we generate press coverage that:
1. Firmly establish DMA credentials among marketers as THE leading advocate for the data-driven marketing industry. Demonstrated by regular press mentions (national, business, trade and consumer) and member education/communications. Particular effort will be around media that is important to enterprise marketing leaders and legislative/regulatory leaders.
2. Strengthen the tie between DMA members and our advocacy efforts, and deepen member awareness of our advocacy programs. Demonstrated by success in the two goals above, and testimonials/member engagement in DMA advocacy efforts. Help us make being a DMA member essential to responsible data-driven marketers.
3. Build awareness of the benefits of responsible data-driven marketing among U.S., consumers – mostly through conduits like consumer protection groups and DMA Members. Goal is to build trust in responsible data driven marketers. Demonstrated by paid, earned and member-owned media branding and promotion.
This role will report to the Senior Director, Member Communications (based in New York).
Responsibilities will include:
· Proactive press outreach and story pitching to trades, business press and policy writers, mostly in the US but also in Europe. This will be the vast majority of this role’s responsibility.
· Monitoring coverage of key advocacy issues around data-driven marketing that are important to DMA and our members (e.g.: privacy, data management, regulation of mobile apps and other channels) and identifying reporters and bloggers who need to understand our point of view. Once identified, we will actively pitch story ideas to these people.
· Maintain a media outreach calendar and press list for achieving our Communications goals.
· Writing press releases, blog posts, columns and op-eds.
· Supporting our non-advocacy press outreach (e.g.: events) and our member communications (newsletter, blog, President’s Letters)
· Preparing weekly press coverage and important media highlights reports for Senior Staff and our Government Affairs teams
· Collaborate closely with the Government Affairs group as well as our member communications and digital media teams.
Desired Skills & Experience:
· 3-5 years in a similar press relations role
· Excellent writing skills, along with the ability to write for self and executives
· Knowledge and experience with public affairs and advocacy teams
· Highly motivated with a “can do” attitude and the ability to make informed decisions quickly while working in a fast paced environment
· Ability to work with remote teams (your manager will be in New York City) and across department and functional lines
· Positive, professional team-player who embraces team success
· BS in Marketing, Journalism or related area
If you are the outstanding professional who is interested in working for the world’s largest marketing association, please apply now. This unique professional opportunity offers an excellent benefits package.